Watch Him Grow!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Friday, March 30, 2007

Duppy in the House?

Ok, we had our own UFO moment last night. Let me preface this post by saying that I'm not a superstitious person. Everything has a reason in my mind, a logical reason. My mom and her siblings all swear that there's some ghost that's been on my grandmother's property in Jamaica since they were kids, but I'm not buying it. Napi swears she's seen the ghost in her parents house a couple of times - I chalk that up to her wild party days. I've seen real deal warriors praying to the war spirits before suiting up and I chalk that up to noble ideals more than anything else. Basically, that stuff doesn't fly too far with me. Last night has me wondering though...

Here's what happened. At about 0400 this morning Amiri wakes up crying. Actually he started off talking to himself, but then eventually started crying. Napi went in and gave him his bottle and as soon as she got back to the bed he was crying again. She went back in and gave him the bottle again but as soon as she got back in bed he was crying...again. So I get up and make him a bottle of formula, take him out of his crib and proceed to feed him. I usually forget to turn off the monitor in our room whenever I intend to remove him from his crib. Since his monitor has a motion sensor under his mattress, removing him means I must turn off the base to his monitor, which then results in the monitor in our room blaring out hiss until Napi or I turn it off. Notice I wrote hiss - that's usually what comes out of the thing if it is on and the base has been turned off. But not last night. As I'm feeding him, I'm aware that the monitor in our room is still on, but that I'm hearing something other than hiss. Napi shouts out to me to come into the room and when I get there I hear, rather faintly, a woman comforting a child. A few seconds later it clears up and now there's clearly a woman speaking in very clear English to a child. Believe I heard something along the lines of, "does the baby want his bottle? Here you go. Poor baby."

Now, I'm sure this was probably feedback from another monitor somewhere in our building, or perhaps as far away as an adjacent building. But as Napi pointed out, the people in our building with kids are not native English speakers. They all have very clear and distinctive Ethiopian accents. So could it be from another building? Possibly, though the buildings aren't attached and the nearest one is probably at least several hundred feet away. Whatever or whoever it was - very strange. I wonder if Ami' can somehow pick up on these transmissions and that's what has been setting him off the last couple of nights? This is some Twilight Zone stuff...