Watch Him Grow!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Catching Up

Between work, poor Internet service in Baghdad and being on the road, the BLOG has been MIA for some time. I'm typing this post from a hotel in Bangkok, in a weird twist of travel craziness that finds me heading back to Baghdad for a quick TDY through Bangkok, Thailand and Amman, Jordan. I get back to Baghdad this week with 1-month on the clock before heading back to VA. I joke with some of the guys I work with that it feels like I just started my tour a few weeks ago. Time flies indeed.

Haven't seen much of Amiri at all. We had a somewhat reliable cellular phone system in Iraq, but the USG has since canceled that contract and gone to an overseas based number. But even then I communicated with Ami and Napi primarily through Skype and the Internet has been such a crap shoot lately that I haven't been able to do that except maybe once in the last month. Trying to coordinate a time to make the call is also a problem since I'm usually on the road when they are home and dead tired when I do make it back in. I'm probably a distant memory in my son's mind at this point. It's funny how some things just sort of repeat themselves, but at least I know that in about a month or so I'll be seeing him and at least from the States I won't be going weeks/months and not talking to him one way or the other.

Last I heard, the little man was doing well, though he has apparently (may be moot by now) experiencing night tremors. Not sure what that's about, but I talked to one of the medics back at base in the off-chance he might know something about this and though he couldn't speak authoritatively on the matter (dude is a combat medic after-all...) he did say that he thought he'd heard that night terrors/tremors/whatever they are called are something of a regular part of kids growing up. Not sure how much comfort I take from that, but the thought of Amiri tossing and turning in his sleep while he stares down some nightmare isn't a pleasant thought at all.

Getting ready to hit the streets of Bangkok to see if I can't find him a gift or two. It occurred to me today that buying a kid a t-shirt from Thailand is completely idiotic. Amiri is outgrowing stuff three days after he gets it...better to buy him something that 10 years or so from now he can still appreciate, right? What to buy that figures into that plan is the million dollar question right now...