Watch Him Grow!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Everyone Loves Gmail except...Baghdad

Loyal followers (I'm sure I'm down to maybe 1 at this point) may have noticed the long pause in posts to this little Blog of mine. Some of that is attributable to me running and gunning. But lately (and by lately I mean the last 1.5 months or so) logging in to gmail has been next to impossible out here. I'm not sure what these clowns use in their script, but I can get just about every other email service to load except gmail. Of course, since Blogger is a Google product, and the login name happens to be the napisoul email account name, it's been pretty much impossible to make any posts to the Blog over the last several weeks. Fun stuff. Thought I'd throw up a few pics of Baghdad for your viewing pleasure - nothing gruesome - just a few pics I happen to have sitting here on a memory card. But first, an update on Amiri (who I talked to for over 30 minutes tonight before Skype gave up the ghost) direct from Napi:

Ami is now 30 lbs, and inch taller, and is officially wearing 3T shirts b/c his 2T shirts look like tank tops on him. I had to go to the store last wk and stock up on a few things to get him started this fall. He can now sing his ABCs, The Itsy Bitsy Spider, The Barney Song, Row your Boat, 10 Little Monkeys, If You're Happy and You Know It, and any song that comes on the radio or on his little mp3 player. He especially likes Erykah Badu.


From my thirty minutes of listening to him babble on, I could immediately tell that his vocabulary is definitely expanding. Napi told him to tell me a few things and for the most part he was hitting the sentences dead on. He also has a book (well he actually has many of them) where he can mimic the sounds of animals or phrases and he was hitting some of those phrases dead on as well. In one instance, the voice in the book says "Oh Man!" and Ami' would immediately pipe up "Oh Man!" He's also a Barack Obama fan, calling out the good Senator by name frequently and playing with his Obama button. Fun stuff. Couldn't really gauge his size difference over the Skype connection, but he's definitely moving right along. Glad I got the chance to chat with him and perhaps when my internet connection gets better, I can email Napi the little video clip I made for him.

As for this pic - see how orange it is? Well the pic doesn't come close to the most craziest sand storm I've ever witnessed in Iraq or anywhere else for that matter. It was a scene straight out of a bad Martian movie. The entire sky turned bright orange. I wish I had captured a pic during the day - it only occurred to me to grab my camera and snap this pic as I was heading to my room to grab my gear and get suited up for the night. Crazy stuff.