Watch Him Grow!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Settle Down Peanut!

Not much to report today. The Dr.'s appointment yesterday allayed many of my fears and overall I think Napi is doing better this week. A little nausea still persists, and the exhaustion remains. We suspect some of it is specifically linked to the Unisom pills she has been taking with the B6 vitamin (per doctor's orders) and she has decided to stop taking the Unisom and see how that works out. While the doctor assured us yesterday that there was nothing particularly wrong with the B6/Unisom combo, she did mention that to the extent Napi decided to wean herself off either, she should focus first on removing the Unisom from the equation. Makes sense to me, as Unisom is a sleeping aid and not surprisingly Napi continues to battle fatigue throughout the day.

I own an Audi, and several times throughout the day I visit a discussion forum about Audi's, called AudiWorld. If you follow the threads there, you would get the impression that Audi's are both terrific driving machines, but terribly prone to breakdowns and Audi of America's apparent master plan to prevent any current Audi owner from wanting to purchase a new one in the future. The truth of the matter is that far more people gather to complain on the internet, than they do to celebrate positive events. When things go well, when everyone is happy, there's nothing to complain about, and thus very few "[w]oohoo, my Audi worked perfectly fine this morning!" threads. This BLOG, I think, has displayed a similar pattern. That is, many of my posts seem to highlight and dwell on the negatives of this pregnancy - the constant nausea, exhaustion, body aches, unflattering changes (as Napi reminded me after editing out her weight info from the last post...) - and just the general yuckiness that comes with being pregnant. Make no mistake about it, the last three months have been hell on Napi's body. As a man, I can't truly appreciate the impact that these changes are having on her. I see the discomfort everyday, and unfortunately it occupies my every thought as I sit and transcribe the day's events here. But don't doubt for a second our enthusiasm about this wonderful gift of ours.

We are having a baby, our very own child. Words will never fully express the shear joy that surged through our bodies the day we saw that first ultrasound picture. I can't accurately portray the feeling of excitement and elation that swept over us as we watched Peanut's arms move on the ultrasound monitor. Nor can I tell you just how happy we are when we look down at Napi's growing tummy and speak to our baby. This is a wonderful time for us, complicated somewhat by the changes to Napi's body, but nonetheless thrilling for us as we prepare to welcome our little wonder to this world. I'm sure Napi joins me in saying that despite the challenges placed on her body, we would not change a thing about this pregnancy if it meant not being able to welcome our baby into this world. We love the Peanut and have quietly come to terms with all the attention s/he seems to have desired in the first trimester of Napi's pregnancy.