Mark left behind his wife Sarah and their daughter Cora. The couple were already planning the adoption of a second child when Mark was taken from us. What makes a man pick up the sword for his country and march into battle, into harms way, with so much to lose? Can the quality of such a man be measured in words or expressions of sympathy, or in the outpouring of sorrow from family and friends? What can we learn from such a selfless act, as the giving of one's life in the service of his country and fellow man. If I live long enough to teach my son these lessons, I will have considered my duty to make him a better man at least partially fulfilled. Before my trip, I sat alone in my apartment one night and watched the HBO movie Taking Chance. And I cried, long and hard for the memory of those who have fallen, for those who will fall, for those who understand why brave men must go to the sound of the guns to protect those values we hold dear, and in pity for those who will never understand the true meaning of honor, courage, duty, and sacrifice. Rest in peace brother, and to my own son - understand that good men have paid the ultimate price so that you can enjoy the life that you now live.
Saturday, April 11, 2009
R.I.P. Mark
On 11 April 2008 while making our way towards Sadr City, Baghdad, Iraq, the lead armored vehicle carrying former U.S. Navy SEAL Mark Metherell hit a crush-wire improvised explosive device that threw the vehicle some 60 meters from the blast site. Mark and the Iraqi Special Forces soldiers he was leading into battle were killed.



