Some quick observations after a few days of hanging with the likkle youth. First, the dude is like a pancake magnet. We pass a Denny's and he's on the "I want pancake" request like you wouldn't believe. That also confirms what we've known for some time; he's got his daddy's sweet tooth. With a strong history of diabetes on my side of the family (not sure about Napi's), we'll definitely need to watch that. We're already beyond my somewhat optimistic hope that he would grow up not liking sweets. Second, he's on a weird fish trip. For the past couple of days I've asked him at around 5pm if he's ready for dinner. Usually he says yes and that's followed up with me asking him what he wants for dinner. Consistently the first response is "Fish!" Not sure what the story is on that, but it's quite amusing. I've thought about hitting up a restaurant and getting him some fish, but since I don't know if we're talking some sort of breaded fish Napi may have prepared for him, or real deal fish, I've fallen back on the one thing he definitely eats - grilled cheese sandwich. He's also a fan of crab legs, though he simply refers to that delicacy as crab. While grabbing at bite at the Cheesecake Factory the other night, he first asked for grilled cheese before suddenly requesting crab. "I want crab daddy! I want crab!" With that in mind I ordered for myself the closest thing I could find on the menu which was the crab cake sandwich. A quick bite of that and he immediately assessed it wasn't the favored crab leg treat and went right back to his grilled cheese and fries. This kid has been a finicky eater from day one and that appears to be the ongoing reality. Interestingly enough, he kept calling my crab cake a burger and kept saying he liked to eat all his meat, though I'm sure Napi's still got him on a vegetarian diet.
Funny story of the day - and there's always one. I lace up his shoes (well one of them - he turned to the other arriving parent and quite pleasantly demanded that she lace up the other...) and gather all his kit. For a 2.5 year old, this kid travels with quite a bit of gear. Today he had his ruck (aka backpack), his blanket and sheet (apparently a Friday take home deal), his nebulizer, coat, gloves, hat. The kid is ready to storm the nearest daycare beach. Back to the story. So we're loaded up and moving to the door for our exfil and he promptly starts yelling "buh bye" to everyone in ear shot. The goodbye shouts are accompanied by "I see you later." Out of nowhere a young chica comes running up and gives him a huge hug. She follows that up with a big smacker right on the lips. I'm standing there with my mouth gaping open and the daycare folks are all laughing at me. Ami' the ladies man. That's how it starts!


