Before I get you guys caught up, how about the Jamaican track and field squat? Ami', at some point you'll read about the now legendary performance of a young youth from Trelawny by the name of Usain Bolt. You'll learn how one of your Jamaican brethren almost stole the Olympics from what could very well be the greatest single Olympics performer of the next several generations, Michael Phelps. You haven't spent a lot of time in your "other" country, but you should know that when it comes to sports, Jamaica has a rich history, from football, to cricket, to track and field. Jamaicans worldwide watched in amazement as our country stole the spotlight in China.
Readers will be alarmed to hear that since leaving St. Louis in the last week of July, I've only been able to speak to Amiri once. That happened a few nights ago when Napi and I finally managed to get our timing right and get a Skype call through and I got to spend just about the entire time chatting with Amiri. Of course, the boy wasn't particularly interested in talking to his old man. He had stuff to do. First, it was counting his money. With his "piggy bank" in hand, he spent the better part of 20 minutes pulling out coins and yelling "banko, banko" which is Ami' speak for money! Taking the queue, I pulled a few bills from my pocket and started yelling "banko" myself, which got a chuckle or two from Ami'. He then grabbed a book and proceeded to read, so I did the same. Unfortunately the only book within reach was "Lone Survivor" and within minutes I found myself talking about death, so I had to shut that down. He eventually tired of the conversation and wandered off to eat.
In a few days he'll travel with Napi to Ft. Lauderdale, FL, where he'll meet his paternal grandmother for the first time. My mother hasn't spoken to me since his birth but I've always made it clear to Napi that I would never put my son in the middle of whatever beef my mother has with me. Hopefully he'll get to spend some time with her, along with other members of my family who will be gathering in Florida for a wedding in the family.


