Monday, March 17, 2008
Deciphering Ami' Talk
Napi has the vocabulary pretty much figured out, but I gotta tell you - I am struggling. Some words are crystal clear. Mama, DaDa, eat eat (and always in duplicate!), but others are completely in the Ami' dictionary. For instance, "me, me" or what could be "mink mink" is Ami' speak for his "binky" or pacifier. "Gar" is car, while "ghoo" is shoe. He does have his sign language game going though. "Eat, eat" is usually accompanied by a fingers to mouth motion and "more" is usually accompanied by the touching of the thumbs, index fingers, and middle fingers of both hands together. Requesting a bottle of milk involves him saying "milk milk" while mimicking the milking of a breast. Napi gets the credit for all of this of course. Early on she started signing to Ami' and amazingly he's picked it up. I may need to leave him my Arabic cd's; who knows, by the time I get back he might be fluent!


