There are a couple of ways you can breach a room. The way I was thought is to bring the fury of ill intent with you through the door. In other words, surprise the hell out of the person in that room by blowing through the door, assessing threats and immediately taking out the threats. Obviously that approach doesn't hold well for a room in an apartment. The other method is to slowly open the door and pie your way around the room. That's least favored because frankly if someone in that room is waiting on you, you're standing in a fatal funnel. A bullet magnet is the term an instructor once taught me. So as I reach for the door, I decide to split it down the middle. I push the door in with some authority, but just enough to give me a clean picture of the pitch black room. Except, as soon as I push the door in, I hear it bounce of Ami's head. Sure enough, as I enter the room, our boy is sitting on the floor in the Indian prayer position, crying his head off. Napi scoops him up and starts checking for damage while I do a quick scan of the room and confirm that he did fall out of his crib and upon reaching out in the dark, managed to push his door shut.
As best we can tell he somehow managed to climb over the top of his crib. We can lower his mattress one more position and that's happening tonight. He has one of the best mattress pads we could find at Babies R Us and that thing is about as thick as a kid's bed gets. Hopefully lowering the bed one more notch will be enough, but this was enough of a scare that unless one of us is willing to remain in his room until he stops crying, he has to come back to our room should he awaken in the night. We just can't risk him pulling the belly flop stunt again. Since that night (believe that was last Thursday) it hasn't happened again but as we've come to realize, there's a never a dull moment with this boy.


