1. LAUGHING: At any given moment, for any given reason, he'll laugh himself silly. It's really quite humorous to watch. If he notices you watching him while he's laughing, he'll laugh even more.
2. BABBLING: He's trying to tell us something - we just can't figure it out. One thing is for sure though; his favorite new word is mama. Mamamama will come pouring out the minute he's being asked to do something he doesn't want to do, or the instant he doesn't think he's getting the attention he deserves/needs. More often than not mamamama is accompanied by boo-hoo tears. Which brings us to...
3. CRYING: Hysterical bawling is the more apt description. Screaming, kicking, jumping - your basic temper tantrum. I now give him a finger flick to the butt when he gets into this sort of behavior. Can't have that at all in our house and he'll learn that when he gets a little older. Our kid won't be that kid running around the store screaming he hates us because we didn't buy him a piece of candy. I'll get in that ass and Napi will get in it even faster judging by what I've seen.
4. GUILT: He definitely knows or senses when he's done something wrong, or when he's about to get it. Commands to "stop" will usually not deter him, but he starts looking out of the corner of his eyes to see if we're taking any steps towards him. A louder command with some movement will usually stop him dead in his tracks, and as was the case yesterday will sometimes result in sympathetic sobs - which stop about as soon as they start. This kid definitely has a game plan going even if he doesn't realize it.
5. I REFUSE TO EAT!: Perhaps the most frustrating new trick up his sleeve. Takes an arm and a leg to get him to eat, and this appears to be mostly texture issues. For instance, he'll eat hush puppies or whatever they are called, but won't eat a piece of plantain. He definitely likes bread - in just about any flavor. But man shall not live by bread alone...
6. SLEEP KID!: First night back was a charm. He slept through the night and it took some effort for Napi to get him up the next morning. Next night, he wound up in the bed with us, and last night he popped up twice. Both times I was able to get him back to sleep in less than 10 minutes. But we need him sleeping. Part of the problem is he's drinking more than he's eating and that results in a pretty soggy diaper the next morning. We suspect he's waking up because of the wet diaper.
I know I'm missing more and I may edit this post as I remember them, but those are the big ones I can think of. All part of the growing process as he speeds into the 13th month.


