Watch Him Grow!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Monday, January 22, 2007

Mommy Groups?

I subscribe to at least 10 discussion forums on the Internet. In no particular order of preference you can find me lounging on Professional Soldiers, the Sig Forums, Glock Talk, Lightfighter, The High Road, AudiWorld, VW Vortex, Treo Central, iLounge...the list goes on and on. I need to figure out what's going on with my S4, I go visit AudiWorld or Audizine. Have a question about an issue I'm having with my Glock, I visit Glock Talk to see if someone else has experienced the same problem. Interested in tinkering with my 1911 or one of my rifles, I click on the 1911 Forums, or visit ARFCOM. And above all else, if I need to meet up with someone to discuss these issues in person, I can usually find a ton of people in my area who are also subscribers to those forums. So why then is it that Napi and I can't seem to find a single working mothers group in the DC Metro area? It's not like we haven't been looking either. Oh we've found a few stay-at-home groups - but obviously we don't stay at home. In fact, it's so damn expensive living in the DC area I'm surprised anyone can afford to stay at home. Then again, at an average of $250 a week for daycare, perhaps it does make more sense to stay at home...

But you get the point - we're not finding much in terms of parenting groups in this area, and though not exactly alarming, it puzzles me that I can find within 10 minutes, individuals from 15 different firearms discussion sites to meet me at the range, but not a single African-American mothers group that Napi can join. Hell, we're barely finding plain old Mothers groups! I've already told Napi she should take the lead and create her own group. There must be some working moms in the DC area who wouldn't mind getting together every now and again to chat about their crazy kids!