Watch Him Grow!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker

Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Break in the Case

Napi is off at work while the Amster and I hang out at home. She'll relieve me at noon at which time I'll head off to work myself. That's the plan for today and tomorrow, but come next week, if he's still sick we'll have to figure something else out. Our situation is rather comical: Napi has no leave but would likely have no problem taking days off if she did. I have a ton of leave, but taking even a day off these days is a struggle. Fortunately we're at the time of the year when business in the .gov slows to a crawl as people begin to take leave. Hopefully that will be the case next week because no matter what happens, family comes first!

We've pretty much established a routine since arriving home. Every four hours Ami' gets his nebulizer treatment, a task made much simpler with the use of a different delivery attachment to the nebulizer. If you've seen the pics of the unit we received from our pediatrician, you'll not that the unit is hooked up to a mask that can be strapped to Ami's face. He absolutely hated that thing and using it quickly became a chore. The hospital gave us a hose attachment that delivers the medicine in a more consistent flow and he spends more time trying to lick the thing than he does crying. Following his treatment we check his temperature and I'm happy to report that as of 0900 his temperature is sitting at 96.7 degrees. I believe that is the first time he has dropped below 99 degrees since entering the hospital on Monday night. His appetite hasn't had a problem dropping; I made him a bottle this morning with four ounces of formula and he only drank about 2 ounces. He has however been nursing consistently since Monday. What has not changed an iota in the last six weeks is the amount of congestion sitting in his chest. He is as congested today as he has ever been in the last six weeks. You can hear it when he inhales and exhales. Hopefully this thing will break up soon - poor Napi is worried out of her mind!

On an unrelated note, I came across an interesting post on another blog this morning. Not sure what to think of it yet, but my gut tells me it's a good story and one that every child should learn, whether black or white.

Aaron in Africa