I've been thinking about this issue since I first read it yesterday, not so much in the context of what I would or wouldn't do if I got that call from Napi, but in the context of predetermined expectations and treatment of my children. What am I talking about? Well take Amiri for instance. I'm already treating him like a little man. In fact, Napi often reminds me he's a baby based on some of my "stop babying him" comments. Sure I worry about the boy, and I certainly realize I'll be watching out for any harm that might befall him, but what I continue to take for granted is the nature of the threat to my son, vice the possible threats to my daughter. I think threat to my son and invariably that threat presents itself as thugs in the street, running with a bad crowd, getting hurt playing a sport. I think threat to my daughter and it's the phone call this guy received from his wife. All of this despite readily available evidence that boys are probably facing the same risk as little girls where the perverts of the world are concerned. I grew up in a society where I could basically run around my neighborhood without fear (at least of bad people; the real fear was coming home too late and catching a fair one from Granny). I imagine Napi and some of you other Americans probably had the same experiences. The world was a (somewhat) more innocent place back then. But given the state of affairs today...?


