Christmas has come and gone, and as we go charging into week 10 I believe I sense optimism in the air. We've heard horrible stories of people experiencing morning sickness (and the evil villain nausea) throughout the entire term of their pregnancy, but by far the consensus seems to be that this is a first trimester thing. I don't know that we've allowed ourselves to believe that the sickness, congestion, aches and pains will all disappear magically at the 13 week mark, but we are certainly counting down the days until that week arrives. To be certain, things have gotten better. I don't sense an urge to purge, so to speak, from Napi and certainly not at the frequency and ferocity with which it once attacked. Occasionally nausea does sweep over her, but unlike before it now dissipates with a bit of food. And that's the other good development - she's eating and eating well! She's finally able to hold down entire meals and though her taste buds get screwed up every now and again, she frequently has identifiable desires to consume certain foods at any given time.
One of her Christmas gifts was a Pregnancy Massage at the Ritz Carlton. Something that I didn't know, but probably should have guessed, is that in a woman's first trimester, massages should first be approved by her physician. I didn't know that! And to be honest, I would have thought that the first trimester would have been the safest. For some reason I equate the size of the woman's belly with the vulnerability of the baby. In other words, I would have thought that in the middle to latter stages of pregnancy, when the woman's belly is at its largest, the baby would be more vulnerable to external pressures. The physician note may just be a Ritz Carlton requirement, but nevertheless it goes to show you how little I know...
Napi has decided (and probably wisely) to wait until her second trimester before going in for her massage. I think the event will be so monumental that I just might get us a room at the Ritz for the weekend and allow her to truly pamper herself. I'm sure the 1000 (or whatever incredible number) thread count sheets they use there would be a soothing embrace after all the pain and discomfort she's had to endure.
Two more weeks baby!!


